Today I discovered my first strand of white hair since my university days in Singapore. Which was 7 years ago. Which wasn't that long ago. But I still have difficulty keeping tabs on the years. I digress.
Come to think of it, it probably isn't the first strand of white hair I've had since then either. I do now vaguely remembering cajoling my sister to pluck out the occasional odd strand now and then. But those strands were always hidden from view. Bro, you have a strand of white hair. Where, where?! Right there, it's glimmering in the sunshine. I can't see it. Doesn't mean it's not there. Well I can't see it so it doesn't count. Quick, remove it for me...
This is the first strand of hair that stands out, squarely and awkwardly, on my short crop. One that is unescapable from view when I look in the mirror. Even when I tilt my head in the other direction. IT'S THERE. Tadaa. Wassup dude.
And while the white hairs of the university days (yes, loads of them) were induced by stress, I'm figuring this strand (I know there were others but let's just focus on this one) is age related. It's a strange feeling, but a nice one, almost like a quiet acceptance of my coming-of-age kinda feeling. I'm finally ... getting old.
I think I'm gonna let this silver lining hang around for a while. It's a quirky way to celebrate my birhday.
1.30.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment